Ever since streaming services have been introduced, they have become the most preferred forms of entertainment. You have to pay way less for them as compared to what you pay for traditional cable TV plans. Netflix and Amazon were the first ones in the streaming industry and they have a monthly subscription fee. Today we have a plethora of free Netflix alternatives.
With companies like Disney, AT&T, and Comcast venturing into launching their own streaming services, the competition is intensifying. Let’s introduce some other less-known and better streaming services to you. The best part is that most of their content is free.
Top 5 Free Netflix Alternatives
Let’s discuss their features.
You can enjoy an extensive collection of popular movies and TV shows. Owned by a popular supplier of Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and audiobooks, Midwest Tape, the service is becoming popular because of its lucrative features. They have applied the same business model to their streaming service. You use your library card to sign in.
Check out some distinctive features of Hoopla:
- You get around 15 rentals every month.
- Because it works via your library system, there are no ads.
- It has perhaps the most seasoned library than any other on this list.
- It has a great variety of quality classics, dramas, horrors, documentaries, and family movies.
- The service has a number of Oscar-winning movies than any other.
- You don’t see any alien and unheard names when you log into their service.
- It isn’t great at airing the latest movies. That’s perhaps the only downside to it.
- It is available on Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, and so on.
This service is supported by ads entirely. You don’t require a library card and there isn’t a limit to the content that you want to watch. The biggest inconvenience you will have on Tubi TV is recurring two minutes dedicated to commercials after every hour. The service intends to spend a massive budget on improving its service and particularly on licensed content.
They provide convenient categories such as “Highly-Rated on Rotten Tomatoes” and “Not on Netflix.” Check out other features:
- The well-designed categories avoid wasting time in aimless browsing that is endemic to all streaming services.
- It has an incredible all-around collection of movies and shows.
- It has an edge when it comes to family movies and shows.
- The service has a great selection of lighter content for people who are into the genre of comedy.
- Like the other ones, it also lacks in new releases.
- It is available on Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, PlayStation 3 & 4, Apple TV, and Xbox One.
Another good one among free Netflix alternatives! It is known as more of a movie rental service. The service wouldn’t throw unknown names at you. You would be able to recognize most of the names in its library. Vudu has:
Advertisement by Visioneclick.com
- Over 250 TV shows and 3000 movies.
- It uses a B-movie filler to inflate the number of movies and shows available.
- It has a plethora of quality family movies.
- It also has a decent collection of action and horror flicks.
- It is best for kids’ movies. For a nostalgia trip, you can find titles from 1990-2010.
- It lacks new releases, classics, and TV shows.
- It is available on Chromecast, Roku, PlayStation 3 & 4, and Xbox One.
Recently rebranded and renamed from IMDb Freedive, this one is a free-streaming wing of subscription-based service of Amazon Prime Video. IMDb TV is more about quality than quantity. Its library is refreshingly full of free quality titles and free of fluff, which is a trademark of every free streaming site out there.
- It has a total of 384 titles. All of them are familiar ones and have familiar actors.
- It has plenty of movies and shows titles from the ‘90s.
- It is also great for dramas.
- It doesn’t stand out when it comes to classics, new releases, and documentaries – for that your good old cable TV deals would come in handy.
- It is available on Roku, Fire TV, Xbox One, Apple TV, PlayStation 3 & 4.
The last of the free Netflix alternatives on our list! Roku is a popular streaming device and this service is a dedicated place for free TV shows and movies. It is only available on a Roku device and web browsers. If you don’t have this device, you may have trouble accessing it. Check out the features of Roku Channel:
- It is great for notable movie titles in every genre.
- It has a great list of true crime and horror movies and shows.
- The titles are a little obscure and this is the only downside.
- The family movie category is a little weak.
- New releases are scarce in every streaming service on this list but this one has literally nothing from the current decade.
- It is only available on Roku.
The picture quality of all the streaming services depends on the strength of your internet. If you can increase internet speed by trying some hacks or by opting for a different internet plan or service, you will do your streaming sessions a favor.