For cable customers, Cox cable problems come in multiple forms. It’s either slow cox cable Internet, outages or TV, and channel problem. Fortunately, you can fix most of these problems on your own. This will save you from the hassle of calling customer service for help.
What Do Customers Complain About the Most?
Outage Report on Cox highlights the following list of complaints regarding the service:
- Internet downtime – 69%
- TV channels not working – 11%
- Website down – 8%
- Everything is down – 3%
- Internet speed issues – 3%
- TV freezing – 3%
- TV pixelation – 3%
Cox cable outage map shows that most of these reports have been generated from North Hollywood, Mesa, Phoenix, Omaha, and Wichita.
Cox Cable Problems
When a cable problem occurs, don’t panic. Before calling for help, you must make sure the Cox service isn’t down. It’s best that you check the Cox cable outage map to see if the service is experiencing an outage. You can also search for online reports. If everything looks fine, you might be dealing with a problem can that be fixed by yourself.
If Cox is experiencing a total outage, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to fix it. You will have to wait for them to resolve the issue. On other occasions, downtime occurs when there is an electrical problem, the weather is bad or an accident has hit the network.
Everything else is usually a few steps away from being resolved. Let’s review common problems and how to troubleshoot Cox cable:
#1: Cox TV Problems
Cox cable problems are similar to Internet problems. They could be related to TV channels, contour box or mini box. In all cases, the first step is to power cycle your device. Turn it off, unplug, wait for a few minutes and plug back again.
A tiled, fuzzy, blue and black screen is an indication that the wires are loose. Tighten them to fix the issue. Check the back of the cable TV box as well. Also, check the splitters or cable going back to the receiver or TV. When you call tech support, this is the first thing they will ask.
After this, reboot your cable box. If the cables aren’t loose and reboot doesn’t fix the problem, it means something else is wrong. There is a possibility that Cox’s service is out or there is something wrong with your account. In that case, reach out to Cox phone support.
#2: Error Messages
How to Fix
Press the “TV button” >> select “input” and change the input selection of your TV.
If you are a customer of Cox Voice remote, press “TV input” and change the input selection of your TV.
“Temporarily Off Air” message
It’s a signal issue. To fix it, check the connections from the receiver to the wall. All cables must be tightly secured. The cable wire must be secured in the “RF in” or the “cable in” spot.
Read Suggestion: Cox Bill Pay: How to Pay Your Bill
No Data or Description at IPG
It’s among the common Cox Cable Problems. Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Make sure the cable wire is secured in position.
- Unplug the power cord from the back of the receiver.
- Wait for 15 to 30 seconds and plug the power again.
- As the receiver restores the data, you will be able to start seeing data again.
TV Settings for Correct Input
- Press the Input button on your TV or remote control.
- For some users, it might be labeled as Antenna, source or TV/Video.
- A menu will display on the screen. Choose TV from the option.
- The label will describe the type of connection from DR to TV. Go through each labeled option you see and return to live TV to see if the picture is restored.
Resetting the Receiver
- Unplug the cord from the back of the receiver to disconnect it. Wait for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Connect the power back to the digital receiver
- Wait for 5 minutes for the receiver to reset. When you see the block on the receiver is activated, the reset is complete.
Read Suggestion: Cox Tv Packages
Problems with Wireless 4K Contour Stream Player
Wireless 4K Contour Stream Player offers a streaming setup for home. You can watch music and movies, TV shows in 4k resolution without a cable outlet. You will definitely encounter problems with the best TV streaming devices like these too. And you can troubleshoot the Contour stream player just like you would troubleshoot Cox cable.
Checking for Loose Connections
Make sure the cables between the TV, wall, and Contour stream players are secured. This also includes HDMI cable between the stream player and your TV. Check the Panoramic Wi-Fi as well.
Check the cables for making sure they aren’t damaged. If you find any damage, schedule a service appointment by contacting Cox Support.
Read Suggestion: Cox Gigablast 1GBPs Internet Detailed Features and Pricing
To check the TV settings for correct input, follow these steps:
- Click on the input/source button on your remote.
- Select the HDMI connection that matches the port to which your HDMI cable is plugged into.
- Go through each labeled HDMI option and check if the picture has been restored.
Resetting the Contour Stream Player
To reset your Contour stream player, you must first reboot your Panoramic Wi-Fi gateway. Here is what to do:
- Unplug the power cord from the wall of the getaway
- Wait for 15 to 30 seconds and plug the gateway power cord again. This might take 10 minutes or so for a complete reboot.
- Once the reboot is complete, reset the contour stream player. Disconnect the power by unplugging the cord of the player from the wall.
- Wait for up to 30 seconds again. Reconnect the power to the player.
- Wait for 5 minutes for the contour stream player to reset.
If there is some issue with Contour service, stream Netflix or other best free Netflix alternatives on your PC still the service is restored.
Cox Mini Box Problems
A mini box is a small device you put in rooms to get cable TV deals. They offer you multiple channels in each room of the house. Minibox problems are as common as their usage.
The problems include missing channels, device freeze, activation failure, etc. Here some tips to fix THEM:
- Check all the cables are plugged exactly as described.
- Don’t use an old coax cable. Use the one provided in the box.
- Check the main cable in your living room if you are unable to activate the device.
You might notice some channels are missing. Remember that the mini box doesn’t offer every channel you have paid for. It only offers basic programming and a few extras. You will get around 100 channels. This may or may not include premium channels. If you are missing a channel, run a channel scan. Reach out to Cox cable business customer service to learn more about the channels support your mini box.
Why is my Cox Cable box not working?
Service outage, loose power source, and poor signals are some possible reasons your Cox cable isn’t working.
How do I reset my Contour Cable box?
- Disconnect the power from your Contour cable box.
- Unplug the cord from the wall outlet or from the box.
- Reconnect the power cord after 30 seconds.
- Wait for 3 to 5 minutes for the cable box to reset.
- Turn on the TV and cable box, and start using your service.
How do I reset my digital TV box?
- Unplug the power cable for your digital TV box from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 30 seconds and plug it back again.
- Your device will power up automatically.
- It might take a few seconds for the guide to load.
How do I troubleshoot my cable connection problem?
Check all the wired connections to be sure they are plugged in properly. If that’s not the issue, reset your cable box to troubleshoot. This should solve your problem. When all fails, contact customer support.